Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why Am I Doing This?

My Youngest Son is prepping for his G road test. It suddenly occurred to me that I still have lots to say about driving instruction and driving. As I was sitting in the car giving pointers to my Son while he's prepping for his final road test, I thought, "Why haven't I written a blog about the road tests, and share all my pointers now I have the time to do it?"
So I decided it is time I shared....
It has been a while since I got the medical injury that made it impossible for me to teach driving at this time, and I have not sat in the passenger side of the vehicle in "Instructor Mode" and thought about driving all that much.
Well, that is a bit of an lie. My family will tell you that I may not sit in the passenger seat and consciously take on the Instructor role, but unconsciously (to the bane of everyone in my family) I am still the daily Driving Instructor. LOL
Can you imagine how absolutely horrible it is for my Kids who had the Mom that was an ex race car driver, retired long haul trucker, and Driving Instructor! I know that if I was my kids I would be absolutely mortified and embarassed....... suction cup sign on the top of one of the cars in the driveway. And that was after I turned in my transport truck that sat in the driveway!
I obviously was not the average Mom. I didn't wear tennis shoes and sweaters tied over my shoulders. I always had a trucker vest and velour track suits!
I have been known to honk the horn for a driver in my car, grab the wheel if anyone is going to rub a curb, and do emergency maneuvers using the parking hand break when necessary.
Which is great when you are learning to drive but not so great when you have been driving for 37 years like my husband!

I loved teaching driving and classroom driver safety classes. It was the most rewarding job of my life. I often tell my peers that all I learned about life and teens I learned teaching driver safety. I think that teens are awesome, and I really enjoyed teaching new Canadians how to drive, and I had so much fun helping Senior Citizens prepare for their senior road tests.

It wasn't until I got in the car with my Son in these last weeks, and realized how much I missed teaching driving. I was really charged by giving him pointers and telling him my instructor spiel about prepping for the G road test.

So here I am...ready to share my best knowledge with you. I hope that this will help you.
I encourage everyone who needs to do the G2, and G road test to get driving lessons from a certified and licensed Driving Instructor. Plus, to help you understand the whys and wherefores of driving take a Certified Driver Safety class.